“De Madrid al Cielo” (From Madrid to Heaven) is a very popular saying used to describe the city of Madrid. Nobody knows exactly the origin of this saying, but the meaning is clear: There isn’t a better place in the world to be than Madrid. The only step up, would be Heaven. I had the privilege of being born in Madrid. I can testify to its beauty and diversity and the warmth of its people. Madrid isn’t just a city that’s fun to visit, it’s a city that you never forget. I left Madrid when I was eleven and didn’t return until I was twenty-six. Even though I left Madrid, Madrid never left me.
When I returned with my family as a church-planting missionary, I noticed how much had changed and how much remained exactly the same. Clearly, one of the biggest changes was the amount of immigrants that there were in Madrid, mainly from Latin America. The other big change was not so much the city, but my perspective. I was now an adult and saw things very differently. What hadn’t changed at all was the need for the gospel.
After almost seven years in Spain my burden for this city only increases. I am praying that more churches will be planted not only in the metro area, but in the heart of the city. (click here to read the article Church planting in Madrid) In order to raise awareness and encourage church-planting in Madrid, I have committed to personally explore every district of Madrid and assess the state of the gospel in each area. How many gospel-centered, gospel-proclaiming churches are there really in Madrid?
According to Wikipedia, the city of Madrid “…is divided into 21 districts (distritos), which are further subdivided into 128 wards (barrios).” Here is the map from the same Wikipedia link above. Each number on the map corresponds with the list of districts below.
Districts and wards
- Centro: Palacio, Embajadores, Cortes, Justicia, Universidad, Sol
- Arganzuela: Imperial, Acacias, La Chopera, Legazpi, Delicias, Palos de Moguer, Atocha
- Retiro: Pacífico, Adelfas, Estrella, Ibiza, Jerónimos, Niño Jesús
- Salamanca: Recoletos, Goya, Parque de las Avenidas, Fuente del Berro, Guindalera, Lista, Castellana
- Chamartín: El Viso, Prosperidad, Ciudad Jardín, Hispanoamérica, Nueva España, Castilla
- Tetuán: Bellas Vistas, Cuatro Caminos, Castillejos, Almenara, Valdeacederas, Berruguete
- Chamberí: Gaztambide, Arapiles, Trafalgar, Almagro, Vallehermoso, Ríos Rosas
- Fuencarral-El Pardo: El Pardo, Fuentelarreina, Peñagrande, Barrio del Pilar, La Paz, Valverde, Mirasierra, El Goloso
- Moncloa-Aravaca: Casa de Campo, Argüelles, Ciudad Universitaria, Valdezarza, Valdemarín, El Plantío, Aravaca
- Latina: Los Cármenes, Puerta del Ángel, Lucero, Aluche, Las Águilas, Campamento, Cuatro Vientos
- Carabanchel: Abrantes, Buenavista, Comillas, Opañel, Puerta Bonita, San Isidro, Vista Alegre
- Usera: Orcasitas, Orcasur, San Fermín, Almendrales, Moscardó, Zofío, Pradolongo
- Puente de Vallecas: Entrevías, San Diego, Palomeras Bajas, Palomeras Sureste, Portazgo, Numancia
- Moratalaz: Pavones, Horcajo, Marroquina, Media Legua, Fontarrón, Vinateros
- Ciudad Lineal: Ventas, Pueblo Nuevo, Quintana, La Concepción, San Pascual, San Juan Bautista, Colina, Atalaya, Pinar de Chamartín (Costillares)
- Hortaleza: Palomas, Valdefuentes, Canillas, Pinar del Rey, Apóstol Santiago, Piovera
- Villaverde: San Andrés, San Cristóbal, Butarque, Los Rosales, Los Ángeles
- Villa de Vallecas: Casco Histórico de Vallecas, Santa Eugenia
- Vicálvaro: Casco Histórico de Vicálvaro, Ambroz
- San Blas: Simancas, Hellín, Amposta, Arcos, Rosas, Rejas, Canillejas, Salvador
- Barajas: Parque de El Capricho (Alameda de Osuna), Aeropuerto, Casco Histórico de Barajas, Timón, Corralejos
Paul wrote in Colossians 1:5, “For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel.” The only way the people of Madrid will have any opportunity to go to heaven when they die is if they hear and believe the truth of the gospel. It is my prayer that the saying “From Madrid to Heaven” will become a reality for the millions living in Madrid. Will you pray? Will you give? Will you mobilize? Will you go?